Reflections on Dear Jane

I feel as though I've been making the DJ quilt for at least three years but was surprised to look at my first DJ post and found it was mid May 2013. That means it's taken me only one year and nine months from start to finish!

I really loved making this quilt and enjoyed every part of the process. The cutting and piecing was easy using the freezer paper method, the triangles were much simpler than I expected and even sewing all the sashings on at the retreat was a breeze.

I made about 80% of the real DJ blocks before deciding that the ones that were left were ugly or too fiddly so from then on I drafted or designed my own. The triangles were mostly my own designs or adapted from the DJ originals with several being designed by my quilting friends (I was running out of inspiration by this time and so threw paper triangles, rulers, applique templates and pencils at them and told them to draw something!) At this stage I cheekily added a kangaroo block to remind me where I made the quilt, which has horrified some but pleased others (this Aussie block is the favourite of my husband and daughter).

I won't post any photos of the whole quilt until the QuiltWest exhibition in May so watch this space...

Ok, so what do I do now? I might have to take up knitting...

Comments

  1. I have a mammoth knitting project you can help with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might take you up on that... I need your help to make a scarf I bought the wool, needles and pattern for at the craft fair! Its just one big knot at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Phil, have I read this correctly? You have HAND quilted the entire DJ quilt! I'm really looking forward to seeing it now. Also, you will be at AQC, but mainly for the ball. At least you know your priorities.
    And what a lovely blog ��
    Meg Cowey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is all hand quilted and took just under 3 months to quilt. Referring to the ball, I meant I was like Cinderella ...made me laugh to realise that It sounded like I was only interested in the dinner!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on the hand quilting! I have loved to hand quilt for over 30 years but recently developed tennis elbow after quilting a queen sized quilt for my son in 6 weeks! Any tips to avoid this- apart from being more organised:)
    Looking forward to the Quilt West post,
    Cheers, H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've noticed my thumb and wrist get painful when I do too much quilting...not sure what the answer is except do less quilting, but that's not an option!

      Delete

Post a Comment