Friday, 27 June 2014
Sunday, 15 June 2014
Saturday, 14 June 2014
I'm really pleased with my new work station. I originally had a small wooden set of drawers with a glass top sitting on it but:
1. There wasn't enough drawer space
2. The drawers were hard to open
3. The cutting area was too low.
So off to Ikea to buy more drawer space and to have a thinking session.
I found the ideal six drawer cupboard easily but it was too low. Then I had the idea of buying six strong cylindrical storage jars of the right size to use as 'legs' to support my glass top. This has worked perfectly, giving me the correct working height for cutting and an extra space between the glass and the drawers for storing my ironing pad, extra cutting mats and all my rolls of paper, vlisofix, etc.
A win win situation!
So am all set up to cut out more DJ triangle blocks...
Sunday, 8 June 2014
Have got my DJ mojo back and over the last week can total fifteen triangles, which means more than one side's worth! They are easier and quicker to make than the squares and, as I cut out 5-10 at a time, I can pick up and sew them anywhere. Luckily the French Open (tennis) has been on TV and I can do at least one seam between points... or about one triangle per set. Wimbledon is in a couple of weeks so I should get the whole lot sewn by the end of the tournament!
Friday, 6 June 2014
Forgot to say that I had a fun day at Brenda Gael Smith's workshop 'Serendipity Circles' when she came to Perth in May to Judge the QuiltWest exhibition. She was a great teacher and most of us had produced a quilt top by the end of the day. My offering is the bright orange one. So good to do something that didn't require too much deliberation - just had a happy time playing with fabric and cutting lots of wacky circles!
Sunday, 1 June 2014
I'm also planning on drafting some new triangles as I'm not keen on some of the original ones.
Being an organised person I've also worked out a good way to keep these prepared pieces ready for stitching...
Originally, when I cut out the squares, I put each block into a zip lock bag with a picture of the block inside so that I would know how to put the jigsaw back together again.
But to avoid having to have the book or the triangle picture on hand I decided to put each triangle's fabric pieces in the correct place on a white A4 sheet of paper which I then slipped inside a plastic folder. Somehow the plastic's static keeps the pieces in place ready to be sewn. It keeps the prepared triangles flat so they are easy to transport without the tiny pieces getting mixed up. I'm sure someone else has already thought of this but it was a light bulb moment for me!