Spray Basting Empty Street


I always spray baste quilts for machine quilting. There are many different ways to approach this, but this is how I do it...
After making sure that the backing and batting are slightly larger that my quilt top, I lay the batting on my table (for bigger quilts I do this on the floor) and then lay the top over that. I carefully smooth and positioning the top as I go.


I then fold the top back halfway and spray the batting (remember to do this in a well ventilated area).


Next I smooth the top back over the sprayed batting. Note that the spray doesn't work like a glue that dries - rather it is tacky and allows you to peel back and reposition the layers if necessary. There is no need to rush or panic! Once I'm happy that the top is smooth and in the right position, I fold the opposite side of the top back and repeat the process.


I then flip the batting and top over to the reverse and lay the backing over the batting. repeat as for the quilt top.


 Finally I add a few safety pins around the edge to stop the layers peeling back during quilting


I find that spraying the batting and laying the fabric layers on top (rather than spraying the backing) avoids wrinkling and tucks appearing...

Comments