Appli-quilting Using Tulle

Using black bridal tulle over fused appliqué is a really quick and effective way to appliquilt.
Rather than stitching around the edge of every fused shape, you stitch inbetween each shape, which cuts down the stitching by 50%. The tulle keeps each shape in place and, as I usually use a black thread, the stitching is invisible.
I spray baste the three layers together as usual and then lay the tulle over the top, making sure there is at least an inch of extra tulle around the edge of the quilt. I use safety pins around the edge to hold the tulle in place, being careful not to stretch or tear the tulle.


Then I free motion stitch around the appliqués. 


Next I finish the edge with a binding or facing depending on my mood

...and here is the finished quilt!






Comments