Covid Picture Challenge Class

While catching up on this blog I realised that I had missed out on the email picture quilt class I taught last year. Here is an extract from the WAQA Quilters' Quarterly article about it...

When news of the stay-at-home orders for WA were announced I suddenly felt bereft - no social quilting or teaching for the foreseeable future. As I cancelled some workshops I began to wonder if it was possible to teach by email contact only. My picture quilt workshops were especially suited, as a lot of the work is digital (image preparation and pattern making). I thought too of my WAQA friends, who would also be feeling the loss of quilting activities and so the ‘Picture Challenge’ class was born.

Success can be measured by looking at the great results below. I was blown away by how skilled and talented these students are, some had never tried this sort of quilting before, and how different the quilts are in terms of subject, colour and style.

One of the most exciting results of the experiment was the fact that some of the students were country members who often find it difficult to attend workshops, yet were able to benefit from an email based class (this is something I would like to see developed in the future as part of the WAQA workshops programme)

On a personal level I really enjoyed the class. I got to interact with students I hadn’t met before and the covid restrictions didn’t seem quite so onerous. Thank goodness we all had our quilting to keep us going!

 Julie McAllister - Perth


“What’s That?”
This is my granddaughter walking with her little dog Rocket around Lake Claremont. They are always looking for crickets, frogs, bugs and birds. Any noise or movement attracts their immediate interest!
I don’t know if I or my daughter are more thrilled with the result! 

Annie Folkard - UK

I visited the Rahn of Kutch In Gujarat, as a twenty three year old and one of the villages was Hodka. The quilt depicts Meghwan girls from a photograph I took with a borrowed camera.  I had always intended to do something with the image so when invited to take part in Phil Thomas’s photo picture class it seemed like a really good opportunity, particularly as the AQC had been cancelled and I had been unable to do the Mer Vahl course I had booked to go on.  This was the second photo quilt that  I had done and it was very interesting to compare the different techniques I learned quite  a lot in the process.  I used the back of fabrics to give a faded fabric impression and finished off the quilt with a border using an embroidered strip that I had kept for years without really knowing what to do with it.

I particularly found the preparation of a special tailored ironing pad to pin the background to, a really helpful way to set up the project at the start.


Judith Wilton – Augusta WA

King Penguins 

I took the photo at Gold Harbour on South Georgia.  I was sitting on the sand and a group of King penguins waddled up to investigate 'the strange object’ even pecking at my boots and the toggles on my jacket. I do wonder what the two penguins in the image were discussing! 

I am happy the way they turned out considering fabric choices in the stash, but if I choose to use homespun fabrics again I would definitely use the tulle securing technique. Will have to secure supplies when next in Perth. Did not particularly like the way homespun tended to fray with edge quilting.

Great to have this technique in my armoury 

 Lana Refroy – Yuinmery Station WA


I thoroughly enjoyed the process of making the photo to fabric quilt. Phil's instructions were clear and she assisted with questions and more information when needed. My quilt depicts family in Europe for Christmas, hence the Christmas fabric in the sky. The collage on the right is for added interest and includes all the fabrics used. 

Helen Sugars Duff


This quilt is titled “William” The original photo was taken 20 years ago and is my Dad on the morning of my wedding day. He was waiting for us girls to finish getting ready  when the photographer grabbed him. It has always been my favourite photo, catching him perfectly. He passed away just over a year ago.

I really enjoyed doing this class and really didn’t see at the beginning of the process how it would end up looking like a person at all. I have done 2 other classes with Phil which I have really enjoyed and were very successful, so I put my faith in her directions and persevered. Even halfway through doing his hands I couldn’t see it working. Then, all of a sudden it fell into focus and there they were. The accuracy of his face is even more amazing at how close to the photo it is.

 Helen Dagleish


I kept pulling out the project and putting it away for another day because I didn't want to ruin it with wrong decisions. My son's family live with me and the granddaughters are my son's girls.  I had home pressure to get it right. The granddaughter on the left (Annabelle) was born with a medical problem requiring a tracheostomy tube in her neck for over three years. I wanted to capture the tube in the photo to remind us of the progress she has made. Her tube was removed in March. The granddaughter on the right, Natasha, lives in Asia and I don't see her often. Both photos were taken when the girls were two years old. My son has already sent photos of the finished quilt to family overseas.


Lorraine Casterini



work in progress - I’ve taken the cheats way out and just done a silhouette of the boy but intend to do the more detailed version at a later date and just iron it over him.  I messed up the water by not using the lines on the fabric to do the black bits but learnt by my mistake.
I have really enjoyed the process and will finish it just don’t know when as lock down is not going to be long enough for me to finish all the UFOs that I have .

Kate Beeson


 Edwina Woodin – Perth

 

Cathy Gregg



 

 

Comments